Friday, March 7, 2014

Dawnstar - DC Comics

I like Dawnstar but I always had the same problem with her that I had with the original Angel in Marvel Comics....

Dawnstar - DC Comics

I always liked Dawnstar as a character, but I always wondered about her worth as a superhero. The concept is pretty cool...

She is an Anasazi Indian...from space. Yes, in the DC Universe what happened to the Anasazi Indians is that they were abducted by aliens and resettled on a distant planet. Considering the name "Anasazi" translates from Navajo as "Ancient Ones" or "Ancient Enemy"...there's a whole storyline there that could be explored.

Anyway, She is a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st century and has been since 1977 when she was created by Paul Levitz and Mike Grell.

Her powers...well here is where I have problems. She has wings and can fly. Really fast actually. She can fly at faster-than-light speeds in deep space but holds it down in solar systems. And she can track across targets through space. No matter how deep it is.
So see...she is kinda like a hyped up Angel with Lobo's tracking ability. Nice to have in a group, but pretty much useless on her own.

"Ha Darkseid! I have tracked you down across the cosmos! Now I will....will...call other people to beat you up....."

But visually and since she was one of Mike Grell's creations, I still like Dawnstar. Even though she would be worthless in a knife fight in a phone booth.

No comments:

Popular Posts