Sunday, July 26, 2009

Comic Book Fans and Comic Con


Comic Book and movie news is pouring out of Comic-Con so fast you can hardly handle it.
Man...I remember when Comic-Con wasn't that big of a deal.
Then again I remember our local comic book convention here in NC in Charlotte where I got to actually meet and talk to people like John Byrne and Dave Sim.
But Comic-Con now seems to be a national event.
That's not bad mind you, I think its great the industry is getting that much press.
I just kinda miss the old intimate days when you could actually sit down with a writer or artist and talk.
You got things like Dave Sim drawing me a picture of Cerebus the Aardvark(I think for about 20 bucks), not really liking it and drawing me another for free, letting me keep both of them.
Or Mike Zeck talking about Spider-Man getting a new costume in "The Secret Wars" and then saying "Ooops...I shouldn't have said that.".
Then proceeding to draw me a pic of Spidey in the new all black suit, but refusing to date it because he didn't want to get in trouble with Marvel.

Can the average reader get that kind of one on one relationship at a huge event like Comic-Con now?
Now instead of people like Byrne and Sim, you get Peter Jackson, Denzel Washington, Robert Downey Jr., Cameron Diaz, Megan Fox and Josh Brolin.
I love that they want to interact with the fans as best they can, but can you see actually bumping into Peter Jackson in a hallway and having a 30 minute discussion on the state of comics today?
I hope for the sake of today's comic book readers you can.

No comments:

Popular Posts