Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Upcoming Marvel Movies - Thor

Upcoming Marvel Movies - Thor

I can't really single one out, but out of all the upcoming Marvel movies, I may be looking forward to Thor the most.
Don't get me wrong, I want The Avengers movie and the Captain America: The First Avenger movies both to be awesome, but Thor, I think will be trickier to pull off.
I got to see the Thor trailer online before it got yanked, and I thought it was really good.

It looks like they are going with the Jack Kirby and Walt Simonson vision with the huge cathedrals and almost a sci fi / fantasy look.
Which I think is great.

And they are going with helmets!
I know that seems like a minor point, but Thor really needs to wear the helmet at least a few times.
It's like Cap without his shield.

I think the cast looks amazing....

Chris Hemsworth looks like he dove into his role as Thor, beefing up and adopting a "Mike Tyson" like fighting style for the Son of Odin.
Great!
I really didn’t want to see Thor fighting like Bruce Lee.

The more I look at Tom Hiddleston as Loki, the more I like him.
He has that "I look like a nice guy, but you can see the evil behind my eyes" look that Loki needs.
And Tom has said in interviews that he has adopted a ballet like fighting style, which is a perfect counter-point to Thor's "smash-mouth" style.

Natalie Portman as Jane Foster...well…I hate to sound bad, but Jane Foster was the least of my worries about this film.
Changing her from a nurse to a scientist is okay I guess.

Anthony Hopkins as Odin, looking at it, who else could you have gotten?
Well maybe Brian Blessed, who I think was actually considered at one point.

Jaimie Alexander as Sif, see, this is the female character that worried me.
Maybe because in the Walt Simonson run, she played such an important part.
Jamie was one of few girls on her Colleyville, Texas, high-school wrestling team, so we have the combat training halfway done already!

Then we have The Warriors Three with Joshua Dallas as Fandral, Tadanobu Asano as Hogun and Ray Stevenson as Volstagg.
Good choices all, but I really can't wait to see what Stevenson does with Volstagg.

Idris Elba as Heimdall has caused some Internet controversy.
A Norse deity being played by a black actor?
I really won’t know how I feel till I see what he does with the role.
If he's a great Heimdall, more power to him.

Rene Russo as The wife of Odin, Frigga.
I don’t recall too much about her in the comics, so I'm open to seeing what she can do.

Kat Dennings as Darcy.
She's supposed to be a co-worker of Jane Foster, I guess created just for the movie.
I know my first response was "Why?"

Of course, our hero Clark Gregg will be in it as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson.
It wouldn’t be the same without "The Glue of the Marvel Cinematic Universe" there.

American-Canadian stage, film and television actor, Colm Feore will be playing Ymir.
I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.

Looks like they hit all the high points...but where's Balder?

No comments:

Popular Posts