Monday, February 22, 2016

The Baroness - G.I. Joe - Marvel Comics


The Baroness - G.I. Joe - Marvel Comics

The secret evil girlfriend of millions of fanboys out there....The Baroness.
Yes, G.I. Joe's "bad girl" is just plain hot.

The long jet black hair, the black leather catsuit, the librarian glasses....and that accent.
Let's forget all about the stupid version in the live action G.I. Joe movie in 2009 live-action movie okay?
Anastasia DeCobray was born into European aristocracy, she wasnt Duke's fiancée, Ana Lewis.
They should be horsewhipped for that alone.

And why am I mentioning a G.I. Joe villainess here on a blog about comic books?

Because the Baroness first showed up in the comics, not on TV.
Yes Anastasia was created by Larry Hama and Don Perlin and first appeared in the Marvel comic book, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1 in 1982, a full two years before her action figure even came out.
And she didnt show up on TV until 1983 in the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero mini-series.
So the Baroness' root are pure Marvel comics.
Actually...more than you might imagine.....

It's no secret that Cobra was based on the infamous Marvel evil organization Hydra.
Before Joe came out, Marvel was thinking of doing a similar toyline based on S.H.I.E.L.D.
So when Joe was created and Marvel was involved in it, Hydra/Cobra was a good fit.

AND Hydra's main bad girl was Madame Hydra, a Hungarian orphan taken in and raised by Hydra.
European accent, skintight green leather jumpsuit, evil....hmmmmm

Anyway, despite all that, Baroness is her own woman.
And that's the way we like it. 



No comments:

Popular Posts